India vs Australia 3rd Test: Pat Cummins Confirms Hazlewood’s Return as Boland Misses Out Despite Strong Adelaide Performance

As the excitement builds for the third Test in the ongoing Border-Gavaskar Trophy (BGT) between India and Australia, Australian captain Pat Cummins has confirmed a crucial change to the playing XI for the match at the Gabba, Brisbane. In a decision that has generated much discussion, Josh Hazlewood will replace Scott Boland in the Australian lineup, despite Boland’s stellar performance in the second Test at Adelaide Oval.

Josh Hazlewood Set to Return to Australian Playing XI

The 35-year-old Josh Hazlewood, one of Australia’s premier fast bowlers, is set to make his comeback after missing the second Test due to a low-grade left side injury. Hazlewood, who has 278 wickets in 71 Tests, had an impressive outing in the series opener in Perth, where he claimed a five-wicket haul. However, his injury forced him to sit out of the day-night Test in Adelaide, which was dominated by Australia, with a 10-wicket win to level the series 1-1.

Captain Pat Cummins confirmed Hazlewood’s return to the squad for the third Test, stating that the pacer has had no issues in his recovery. “Josh comes back in … had no hiccups,” Cummins said during a press briefing on the eve of the Gabba Test. The Australian captain further explained that Hazlewood had a successful training session on Thursday and had shown excellent form in the previous days, including his bowling stint in Adelaide.

With Hazlewood fit and firing, Australia is eager to welcome back their seasoned fast bowler, who had been a key figure in the series opener. Hazlewood’s return strengthens Australia’s pace attack, with his height, accuracy, and ability to generate bounce making him a potent weapon against India’s top-order batsmen.

Scott Boland’s Exclusion: A Tough Call for Pat Cummins

Despite an exceptional performance in Adelaide, where Scott Boland played a crucial role in Australia’s dominant 10-wicket victory, it was Hazlewood who was preferred for the third Test in Brisbane. Boland, who has been a consistent performer whenever called upon, claimed five wickets in the second Test, including the dismissals of key Indian players like Shubman Gill, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Yashasvi Jaiswal, and Mohammed Siraj.

Boland’s exclusion, however, was a difficult decision for Pat Cummins. The Australian captain acknowledged Boland’s superb contributions in the Adelaide Test, calling it “tough” to leave him out of the XI. “He was fantastic in Adelaide,” Cummins remarked, highlighting the right-arm pacer’s pivotal role in Australia’s resounding win. Cummins expressed his hope that Boland would get another opportunity later in the series, especially with three Tests still to be played within the next 25 days.

Boland’s Future in the Series

While Scott Boland has been excluded for this particular Test, the Australian captain was optimistic about the pacer’s future involvement in the series. “It’s a shame for Scotty, but still a fair bit to play out this series. I would be surprised if he doesn’t get another crack at some point,” Cummins said, leaving the door open for Boland to return in one of the remaining Tests.

Boland’s exclusion speaks to the depth and competition within the Australian fast bowling unit, where Hazlewood’s return and the inclusion of key bowlers like Cummins and Mitchell Starc provide the team with a formidable pace attack. It also reflects the strategic decisions that captains must make, balancing player fitness, form, and the specific conditions of each Test venue.

The Upcoming Gabba Test: A Crucial Match for Both Teams

The third Test between India and Australia at the Gabba is expected to be a thrilling contest, with both teams aiming to gain an edge in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. After a 1-1 draw in the first two Tests, this match at Brisbane’s iconic ground will be crucial for both sides. For India, the challenge will be to overcome Australia’s potent pace attack and capitalize on any weaknesses. Meanwhile, Australia will be hoping Hazlewood’s return adds extra bite to their bowling, particularly against India’s formidable batting lineup.

With a rich history of Test cricket rivalries, the Gabba Test promises to be another classic in the saga of India vs Australia, and the inclusion of Hazlewood over Boland marks an intriguing subplot to this already high-stakes series.

Conclusion

The decision to include Josh Hazlewood in place of Scott Boland for the third Test in Brisbane has been one of the key talking points ahead of the match. While Hazlewood’s return adds strength to Australia’s bowling attack, Boland’s omission highlights the competition for spots within the team. However, with three more Tests to go in the series, the Australian team is likely to rotate its fast bowlers, ensuring that both Hazlewood and Boland play key roles in the series’ outcome. As the Border-Gavaskar Trophy heats up, fans can look forward to a riveting contest at the Gabba between two cricketing powerhouses.

Leave a Comment